Turning Memories Into Gold

Monday, May 21, 2012

This Week in Education Senior Trip

"But I want to go too."


Disney gives every grad a momento when entering.
If you read my blog you know that I am blessed with twins. A girl and a boy gave my wife and I an instant family. It has been an incredible journey.  We took them to Disneyland the first time when they were eighteen months. Anyone one would tell you they are Disneyland professionals. We did all things to acquaint them with Disneyland and its characters. We went to the theater to see all the new releases. They were loyal watchers of the Disney Channel. It isn't like I didn't enjoy any of that. Now for the first time it's happening, they are going without us. It is their trip to Disney's Grad Night. But this is not a trip to Grad Night only. They also go to Universal Studios and Six Flags Magic Mountain.    At Disneyland they get a Grad Night showing of Fantasmic. And the park stays open until 3:00 AM. However thats not late for two kids who just spent 24 hours at the One More Disney Celebration on Leap Day this year. If you haven't read the blogs for these yet check out posts on March 3rd, 5th and 11th . This will be a fun time for them. Neither my wife nor I got to go on this kind of trip. We both had jobs that we couldn't just up and take time off. I know while I mowed those rich kids lawns I was so jealous. Sweating in the hot sun while they got to do anything they wanted.  So I wanted to make sure my kids got to have things better.
This senior trip takes them from their school to Disneyland. They receive a park hopper ticket that allows them into both Disneyland and California Adventure. As I understand it this will be the first and only time this is supposed to happen. 
Wrist bands for safety.
"She's got a ticket to ride."
Disneyland is a controlled environment.  This is one of the benefits of this prepackaged trip.  We found this type of trip was excellent when they were in eighth grade on the Washington D.C. and New York trip.  Check the blog posts of the Time Machine Travelogue for information on that field trip.  As a dad I was, of course, missing them.  Thanks to cell phones it is easier to keep in touch.  My son is not the best texting messenger when it comes to my inquiries.  Now, we have driven this road once or twice a year for over ten years.  I thought he might have paid attention.  While he is traveling on the bus I texted. "Where are you?"  


He texted back, "On the road."  


After they arrived, I texted my son and asked, "What ride are you waiting for?"  


To this I got the best response of the trip, "The ride your daughter learned to drive on."  This made me laugh out loud.  He was going on Autotopia.  It fit with my theory that 90% of the people in California learned to drive on the Autotopia.  So, they were given a wrist band that identified them for staying in the park after it closed to the general public and they also got to attend a special performance of Fantasmic.  
 A new service that Disneyland offers is a photography card.  All photos taken are placed online and the card is used for identifying those pictures.  
Picture this
Also everyday and especially special occasions you want to ask for the events of the day.  If you notice anyone sweeping up or even ride operators, they have a pouch on their belt that has the event cards.  Just ask them for one they are happy to give you one.
Disco ball Mickey
When we were there for the One More Disney Day on Leap Day, my daughter saw the Grad Night Mickey Ears mortar board graduation hat.  The clerk at the hat shop told her that it would be best to buy the hat and have it monogrammed then because on Grad Night they sometimes sell out.  So she did and it was a good thing because the wait would have taken away from rides and fun time.  My son won this cute little penguin at Six Flags Magic Mountain and Mr. Penguini has agreed to model the Mickey Ear hat.  So they partied with their friends a until 3:00 AM.  They went to back to the hotel and started off early the next morning for Universal Studios.
Waddles when he walks for graduation
Universal Studios has several rides based on their movies.  I looked at my copy of the itinerary and I figured where they were so I texted my daughter, "How is Universal Studios?"  
Ride the movies Optimus Prime.


She texted back that she and two other girls, "We just went to the House of Horrors."


I texted back, "Was it scary?"


She answered, "omg yes!!!!"  I thought it might be like a wax museum, but it was like a Halloween fright house with Chuckie and the Texas Chain Saw Massacre.  


They have just added the newest ride based on the movie Transformers.  Both my twins said it was a cool 3-D ride. Mr Penguini show us the flyer.
What could a Decepticon do to you
Later that evening they went to the Medieval Times for dinner.  This is a dinner theater based on the era of Chivalry.  It has all the trappings of the period.  Jousting and sword fighting is part of the display.  Dinner includes Dragon Blood Soup, tomato bisque; Roast Dragon, roasted chicken, and other colorfully named foods.  The girls were given Damsel Headbands and Veils to complete the princess ensemble.  The boys were given princely crowns.  Mr. Pinguini report to the runway please. 


Hit that runway Penguini.
A real fashion horse, uh, I mean penguin.
After they ate and finished at Medieval Times, it was back to the hotel.  The next morning they were off for one more Southern California theme park, Six Flags Magic Mountain.  Are you tired yet?  Well, high school seniors have a ton of energy and they were ready for the long lines of some of the most intense roller coasters in America.  This was the previous home of Mr. Penguini before my son obtained his service contract in a game of chance, shooting hoops.  
Working for a new agent, my son.
The end of the school year is here.  That is great thing.  Everyone says, "You teachers got it easy.  You don't have to work in the summer."  First that is not our fault, we don't make the calendar.  Also we don't get paid for two months.  We have to be industrious like ants and save, and not frivolous like grasshoppers.  I will still have This Week in Education in the summer to show you how we live in that time off.  

No comments:

Post a Comment