Turning Memories Into Gold

Saturday, March 3, 2012

Look Out Disneyland Here We Come Six


On Our Way for One More Day


My daughter is having churro withdrawals. I can almost see the visions of churros spinning around her head.  So we are leaving for our adventure to the One More Day celebration at Disneyland.
This is a journey for us. It is over 350 miles. But, we are on the road. There are many things that you think you are going to do first.  Getting a churro doesn't count.  We are jetting by car you might say. Because we are just going for two days, we decided to stay at one of those Good Neighbor Hotels. We stayed in this one before but it has been a number of years. Actually it was before we had the twins. It will be interesting to see the changes. If Disneyland never stays the same neither do the surrounding properties.
 They would not stay in the running for those tourist dollars if they didn't.  So, we have a great in the car game. We've played since the kids were little. Since the time we took them to Disneyland at such a young age, they knew the park very well later we expanded to include Disney California.  Whenever, we were waiting in a restaurant or traveling in a car we played, I Got My Place. It was a yes or no question game. It involved everybody. I think I'll make my first place Mister Potato-head at Toy Story Mania in DCA.

Darn they guessed it to fast. I should have gone with the red scrunchy on the girl in the Pirates of the Caribbean.  My daughter sprung this on us when she was about seven. We guessed until we were into our meal before we all gave up. It was the most obscure place. But we all try to top it.

Another thing is the typical What Do You Want to Do First?  Since we won't be going into the park until the Magic Morning entry this could be interesting. The major attractions that are open are in Fantasyland. We can knock them all out in less than an hour. The Tea Cups are still awesome. The twins are still excited by these rides. Then when the park opens and they bring the other rides on line, you can be there to get in the queue. Star Tours will be a ride we want to experience many times because of the different scenarios possible. OMG!!! Did you see that sign. I-5 is closed at the Grapevine because of snow. This will throw a monkey wrench into the gears of progress. I am no Luddite but this is not following my plan. So now we are looking for alternate routes. My wife says, " It's all part of the adventure." As she hands me the keys and says, " Your turn to drive. It's getting dark."



If you want to know anything about road conditions, you can go three places.  First you can call the states Road Hot line.  They say closed.  Second, you can go on the Internet on our smart phone.  Again the answer is closed.  Finally, you can stop at a highway truck stop and ask the truckers. 


They said, "Just came over the Grapevine it was not a problem.  You can make it." The die was cast,  It was settled. We were pushing on.


 Well, we made it over the pass. All the snow was plowed off the road and the roadway was sanded. Once we were down off the Grapevine it was an easy cruise. This allowed us good nights sleep and chance to get into the park early. So here we are on February 28th



We crossed the street and waited in our first line, the line for security check.  Second line was waiting to get into the Disneyland itself. Luckily we are near the front. It won't take long and we will be in the middle of the fun.  


I have a mission to accomplish while I am here.  I am going to photograph as much as I can for the blog. I am loving the experience of doing these posts.  


As the time ticks down for another day a the Magic Kingdom, we are all ready for a fabulous day.  This is getting so familiar to our family.  My wife and I both know that one day this won't be a family event anymore.  But we have only a small amount of regret.  That is how life works.  Children are like wind up toys.  When they are young, we wind them up and show them the sights.  Now they are having to wind us up to keep us going.  Soon they won't need our wind up key anymore they will be here on their own.  And I can see it coming soon.


Once we cross through the gates, we are starting a whole new adventure.  And we will have to start a whole new blog.  Maybe I will call the next one Look Out Disneyland We Are Here.









No comments:

Post a Comment